Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Where I Stand

I am a conservative Democrat at least in terms of social and national security issues, but am definitely not a Republican. I don't believe in trickle down economics, tax cuts for the rich or bashing labor unions. We need to repeal right to work laws which keep unions from effectively organizing in many states. I support expanding access to health care. I favor increased spending on education and job training. I am in favor of public funding of campaigns because it would reduce the influence of big business interests. I feel that Bush's decision to intervene in Iraq has been a distraction to the real war on terror and and needlessly cost American lives. I am opposed to privatizing Social Security and Medicare. We should all support fair trade and oppose trade agreements that cost jobs to American workers. I am in favor of temporary public assistance programs, food stamps, unemployment benefits, school lunch programs and programs for the disabled which provide a social safety net. In my view, public funding for the arts and public broadcasting is a good thing. I am in favor of expanding and encouraging public transportation in our cities. I am in favor of more regulation of the financial and securities industries. A more activist role by government is needed to protect worker safety and consumers as opposed to allowing big business to run the country. We need more funding for AIDS prevention and treatment. I support legislation that would prohibit discrimination in employment and housing on the basis on sexual orientation. On many issues, my goals are very much in line with progressive Democrats.

Where I part company with progressives is largely on the social issues. I am a generally pro-life on abortion although not really in full agreement with the full "pro-life" party line. I think that abortion should be permitted in some situations. I am definitely against late term abortions. I am in favor of capital punishment and favor mandatory sentences for violent crimes. I have no problem with legal immigration but favor strong measures to deal with illegal immigration. I am against gun control. I am opposed to gay marriage. I believe that Democrats need to welcome evangelical Christians but am definitely against churches making political endorsements. I think that conservative Christians raise some valid concerns about the breakdown of the family unit (which is the building block our of our society in my view) and how the entertainment industry is reducing us to the lowest common denominator with its incessant flow of violence and sex in TV and movies. Some of the goals of the conservative Christians are misguided and I oppose them such as teaching scientific creationism in the schools. While I love the Bible, I think that the scientifically correct theories should be taught in our schools. I don't see how formal prayer in public schools would be workable either.

I am a fiscal conservative in the sense that I don't believe in spending more than you take in. I am in favor of a balanced budget amendment. I believe in pay as you. Unlike our Repulican leaders, I didn't think it was a good idea to increase spending and cut taxes on the rich to create a record deficit. My difference with the progressives who dominate the Democratic Party in many areas is is largely over a few social issues. Some of my left of center friends are willing to sacrifice everything that I stand for in the first paragraph of my posting (and hopefully what we Democrats still stand in favor of) for their precious gun control, late term abortion and gay marriage rights. Some Democrats would no doubt invite me to leave the party over these issues, because in their minds these few social issues are all that matter even if we lose election and election over them. That is why I am presenting an alternative view because their narrow focus is hurting the Democratic Party and our country.

3 comments:

Jake McCafferty said...

Like me, you have no party. You only have a slate of candidates you can tolerate slightly more than the others.

As for the list of what you support and don't support ... so the government can require that you rent me a house, but it shouldn't allow me to marry my significant other?

RightDemocrat said...

I agree that the thoughtful center seems to be unwelcome in both parties. The Republicans seem more effective in enforcing total obedience to the party line, but there are certainly many Democratic progressives who would like to do the same.

Discrimination against gays and lesbians in terms of basic needs like employment and housing seems quite unreasonable to me. Personally, I wish that we could return the days that sexuality was more of a private matter. I know that is unlikely to happen as we are a sex obsessed culture. As a result of our present societal fixation with sexual matters, many individuals constantly make quick judgements about which "side of the fence" another person is on. Such perceptions can often be inaccurate and easily lead to discrimination. Some people do have an inordinate hatred or fear of homosexuals and I wish they would get over it.

Personally I feel that homosexual behavior is morally wrong but having a homosexual orientation is not. I would not impose that belief on others, but I do feel that our society must protect its institutions. Sometimes we must make value judgments in order to have a stable society. The traditional family has been a source of strength and its weakening over the past 40 years or so has caused a host of social problems. In my view, gay marriage would further weaken the already vulnerable institution of marriage by confusing the primary purpose of marriage which is to create a stable environment for the rearing of children. I realize that there are heterosexual marriage which through personal choice or biological reality have little or no potential for procreation, however, there are no possibility that a homosexual marriage will produce children. Due to the realities of politics and our legal system which would make it impossible for us to exclude non-procreative heterosexuals from the institution of marriage, we will have to discriminate against our homosexual friends in this regard for the greater good. I believe in holding heterosexuals to a high standard of behavior as well and am certainly consistent in this by supporting more restrictive divorce and abortion laws. No-fault divorce has been the greatest threat to the family, unfortunately, few politicians even in the Bible Belt will touch the issue.

Blue Dog Democrats said...

I am in a almost complete agreement with your Blue Dog stance. I think our politics is the perfect desciption of the word "Populist"